ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC WASTE AND AIR QUALITY
WHO: SPAIN (I.E.S. PUNTA DEL VERDE), GREECE (SECOND VOCATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL OF CHANIA), BULGARIA (AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SOFIA)
WHEN: from 01/09/2019 to 31/08/2021 (24 months)
WHERE: SEVILLA (SPAIN), CHANIA (CRETE), SOFIA (BULGARIA)
The project consists of:
- The analysis of how EEE (Electrical and Electronic Equipment) are recycled in the students’ school
- The analysis of what storage and removal mechanisms are currently in place
- The installment of devices in order for the students to get their own air-quality measurements
- Researching on the work of the recycling companies the students visit
- Researching on the impact that waste and air quality have on natural spaces they visit nearby
- Researching on air pollutant particles, their impact on people’s health and the most effective habits that contribute to the improvement of air quality.
The key objective is:
To raise awareness within each center’s educational community of the need for air to be contaminant-free and for an adequate recycling system of EEE waste.
SPECIFIC ASSIGNMENT OF EACH STUDENTS’ GROUP:
- GREECE works on the hardware component for data collection of air quality and the recycling of electrical and electronic devices
- BULGARIA works on the scientific aspects: air particles and their impact on health, impact of an inadequate recycling system on the environment and who are the polluting agents, as well, statistical analysis of the data.
- SPAIN works on the design of the databases that are loaded with the air quality information that is published by public organizations as well as on the development of a computer program that graphically shows air quality data.
Types of visits:
- Visits to recycling companies, in order to get to know the various management systems that are in place in different countries for electrical and electronic waste and consumables.
- Visits to natural areas of each country, in order to get to know the impact that air pollution and waste exert on them.
- Cultural visits which raise awareness of cultural diversity, therefore promoting the students’ interest in European cultural heritage. Spending time together through these visits is essential to create a close relationship between the partners centers.
THE MOST SIGNIFICANT RESULTS OF THE PROJECT ARE:
- Development of computer program that displays indicators and graphs on air quality
- Statistical study of air quality data
- Personal Manual of Good Practices in order to promote better air quality
- Document and short videos with recommendations for proper storing and recycling of EEE and consumables in school centers
- Publications on web platforms and YouTube channel
- Contact with recycling companies, Cervantes Institute, educational administrations, environmental associations, etc.
The European Commission's support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents, which reflect the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.