This document has been created in accordance with Regulation (EC) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016, and the Personal Data Protection Act. The goal of the American College in Sofia as a personal data controller is to inform the stakeholders what personal data are collected, for what purposes, how they are processed and stored, whom they are disclosed to or shared with.
What are personal data?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), ‘personal data’ is defined as:
“Any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.”
Why does the American College of Sofia collect and store personal data?
In order to inform you about the education, work, development and innovations in the College, or according to the education contract signed with you, we need to collect personal information for correspondence, identification, accounting and financial purposes, training activities, education and safety purposes in regard with your children and students. We guarantee that the information we collect and use for this purpose is indispensable and is not with the intent to enter your personal space.
For purposes of advertising and marketing communication, the American College of Sofia will ask additionally for your consent.
How does the American College of Sofia use my personal data?
With this privacy notice, we inform you that the purposes and reasons for collecting and processing your personal information are entirely related to the training of your children and the ability to provide you with the best quality training and information.
See 'Cookies' Policy
Will the American College of Sofia disclose and share my personal data with other organizations or individuals?
We will not sell your personal information to third parties, nor will we share your data to obtain any benefit.
The American College of Sofia may transfer your personal data to some of our service subcontractors who have signed a contract with us and work in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
All third parties who may receive your data are required to keep your information in a secure way and use them only to fulfill our obligations. When they no longer need your data to fulfill these obligations, they will have detailed instructions for their destruction in accordance with the procedures, developed by the American College of Sofia.
When we intend to transmit special (sensitive) personal data to a third party, we will do so only after we have received your consent (an exception will only exist if we are legally obliged to do otherwise).
Recipients of your data may also be government bodies to whom we provide your personal data under specific and clear legal obligations.
How will the American College of Sofia store and secure my personal data that we collect?
The American College of Sofia will process (collect, store and use) the information you provide in a way that complies with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We will strive to keep the information accurate and updated.
We will not store your information longer than the reasonable period necessary for the specific purposes for which it was collected.
Some of the periods of data storage depend on legal obligations to keep documents and information within certain minimum timelines, outlined in our Data Protection Policy.
We will take all technical and organizational measures to predict and protect your data from unauthorized access.
Can I find out what personal data the American College of Sofia has and processes about me?
At your request, the American College of Sofia is obliged to respond and inform you about what personal data we store about you and how it is processed.
If we have your personal data, you can request the following information:
- Contact details of the organization which processes your data or the organization that is doing subprocessing of your data. (In some cases this may be a representative in the EU);
- Contact details of the Data Protection Officer;
- Purposes of the processing;
- Legal basis of the processing;
- Corresponding categories of personal data that are being processed;
- Recipients or categories of recipients to whom the data are or will be disclosed;
- Recipients from third parties or international organizations if there is a transfer of personal data to them and guarantees that your data security will be at least at EU level;
- If the data processing is based on legitimate interests of the American College of Sofia or of a third party, information about these interests.
- The adopted period of storage of the personal data;
- Details of your rights to request correction or deletion of personal data, or limitation of the processing of the data, and the right to object to such processing;
- Information about your right to withdraw your consent at any time;
- Details of your right to appeal to a supervisory authority;
- Information whether the provision of personal data is mandatory or a contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary for signing a contract, and whether you are required to provide personal data and the possible consequences of failure to provide such data;
- The source of your personal data, when it is not collected directly from you;
- All details and information about the availability of automated decision-making, such as profiling and any meaningful information about the logic of these operations, and the significance and expected consequences of such data processing.
How can I receive access to my data that is being processed?
You must personally fill out a form of request or to contact the American College of Sofia or directly contact the Data Protection Officer.
In order to verify your identity, it is also necessary to legitimize as a data subject so that your identity is unambiguously authenticated (personal documents, identification number, etc.).
Contact details of the American College of Sofia:
Address: Floyd Black Lane, Mladost-2, 1799 Sofia, Bulgaria
Telephone: Reception of the American College of Sofia: (02) 434 10 08, 434 10 10, 434 10 11
Fax: (02) 434 10 09
The content of this document can be subject to renewal and modification if/when a necessity arises.