The American College of Sofia offers admission to Bulgarian students after the completion of 8th and 9th grade. The policy is in response to great public interest and corresponds to the mission of the College to provide first-class education to talented and motivated Bulgarian students and to prepare them to meet the most challenging academic requirements of any university in the world. The College has built a reputation of a prestigious secondary school with high academic standards and many extracurricular opportunities for its students. After the successful completion of the course of study, the students receive a Bulgarian and an American diploma.
The American College of Sofia will admit up to 5 students to be enrolled in Grade 9 and up to 5 students to be enrolled in Grade 10 for the 2004-2015 school year.
WHO MAY APPLY
All Bulgarian students or permanent residents who fulfil the following conditions:
- They have successfully completed Grade 8 or Grade 9 in 2013-2014 school year in Bulgarian schools on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria. Students from foreign schools on the territory of Bulgaria are not applicable for this program.
- They have a GPA of no less than 5.00 for each of the last two years of study. This is certified by certificates for a completed grade for the according school years.
- Their year grade in Bulgarian Language and Literature for the last two years of study is no lower than 5.00.
If you have any questions regarding the conditions for applying please do not hesitate to contact us before you register for the exam.
1. REGISTRATION – December 1st, 2013 – April 5th, 2014
To register online please visit http://erblearn.org/parents/admission/isee/registration
The registration fee of $100 is payable directly to ERB.
2. ADMISSIONS EXAM – April 26th, 2014
The applicants will take the standardized ISEE test (Independent School Entrance Exam) in English language. The test is prepared and assessed by the external organization for independent academic assessment ERB (Educational Records Bureau) http://erblearn.org/. The American College of Sofia is the test site for the Admissions exam. All applicants will take the Upper Level of the ISEE exam.
The ISEE provides a standard assessment of each applicant’s academic skills at a certain age level. This test does not grade particular knowledge in a particular subject area. The ISEE test consists of the following parts:
(a) Verbal and quantitative reasoning tests that measure a student's capability to interpret information.(b) Reading comprehension and mathematics achievement tests.(c) An Essay. The ISEE essay is timed and written in response to a prompt. The essay is not scored by ISEE; it is photocopied and sent to ACS for reference.
Total timing of the Admissions exam: 2 hours and 40 minutes.
3. RECEIVING OF THE ADMISSIONS EXAM RESULTS – May 5th, 2014 – May 15th, 2014
The results of the admissions exam are sent by post to the address supplied by the applicant during the online registration.
4. INTERVIEW WITH THE PRESIDENT OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SOFIA – June 1st, 2014 – June 15th, 2014
Based on the test results, selected applicants will be invited to an interview with the President of the American College of Sofia.
5. ENROLLMENT – July 1st, 2014 – July 15th, 2014
All applicants who have successfully passed the Admissions exam may enroll at ACS under the financial conditions determined for the rest of the Bulgarian students at the College. Students may apply for a tuition fee reduction (Financial Aid) corresponding to the financial need of their families.
ERB and ACS do not organize preparatory courses, nor have ever authorized any organization or individual to engage in such activity. ERB has created materials, which are free for download, to help students prepare. The booklet provides sample questions, scoring information, test directions, and other information that helps the students prepare for the test. You may download a free copy of the “What to Expect” book HERE.
Yuliana Koprinkova, Assistant to the RegistrarTel.: 02 / 434 10 10, ext. 421E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org